Mold Damage Can Ruin Children's Belongings in the Superior Area
Toys, Clothing, and Furnishings Often Harbor Mold Patches
Raising children is a very significant, and expensive, part of many people's lives. Parenting brings many decisions that need to be made, and some decisions involve choosing the furnishings and toys a child possesses. Each small investment adds up, and while some of these purchases will not be used for more than a year or two, at any point between birth and adulthood, the cost to replace what is currently being used by a child can be quite expensive.
Parents in Superior know that toys break, clothing is outgrown, but mold can damage both. Because of recent issues with lead-based paint being found on many toys, labels and stickers, and sometimes decals, are now used where painted areas once were. These labels can retain moisture not only inside of them but also underneath them. Children who are allowed to have snacks while they are playing with their toys also often leave food residue on their toys. Moisture, coupled with the cellulose in paper labels, as well as even the tiniest food particles, can promote the growth of mold.
When children change their clothing because it is wet from playing or a potty accident, or soiled with juice or other drinks, these items should be laundered as soon as possible. Loaded squirt guns, hidden for later use, can be forgotten and then leak. Moisture can always set dormant mold spores into a growth pattern.
Plastic toys, especially those with the newer labels, can stain easily when mold begins growing on them. When toys are found with signs of mold, they can be cleaned and safely played with again. They should not be played with until the mold has been cleaned off and removed. SERVPRO suggests a professional service to safely and effectively restore a safe environment.
When toys are found in this condition, the room they are in should be examined closely for other signs of mold. Check for carpeting that is coming loose from its padding or backing, smells that should not be present, stains on clothing or bedding, and for visible mold growth on walls and ceilings. In closet spaces, and under the bed, inside of toy boxes and playhouses are also prime locations for mold patches. Your children may not be familiar with mold, or the way it can smell, and might not tell you about the 'new dirt' they have found on their toys.
SERVPRO can help remove the mold, preserving your investment in your child's toys, and protecting the rest of your home. Our mold remediation specialists can bring the levels of mold found in your home back to acceptable levels quickly. We can also ensure that mold has been removed from toys, clothing, and other furnishings while ensuring that mold colonies are removed from walls, furniture, and carpets and rugs.
Call SERVPRO of Lafayette / Louisville at (303) 604-6607 to ensure that mold damage is unable to affect your home further. We are ready 24/7 to take your call.