Unexpected Fire Damage Happens
Be Prepared and Prevent Residential Fire Damage
In many cases, fires can start in a home unexpectedly, even if a homeowner takes all precautions against one. Fires are by nature unpredictable, and due to their many causes, it can be just impossible to prepare for all eventualities. Fires can start from mechanical failures, electrical malfunctions, chemical reactions, or kinetic disasters like a falling tree. Here are some ways a fire can start unexpectedly in your home, and some potential safeguards for each.
Electronic devices, especially of older makes and models, can be prone to failure for some reasons. Perhaps they have taken on water or have started overheating, or simply been knocked around and blown a fuse. Whatever the cause, an electrical fire can be particularly dangerous as water and water-based fire extinguishers can not be used to eliminate them. The best way to safeguard against electrical fire damage in Longmont is to make certain electrical devices and components are away from potential hazards and to keep a foam or chemical fire extinguisher nearby.
Falling Objects and Physical Damage
Many fires are started by accidental physical damage, such as a falling tree or a roof collapse. Often, these disasters occur as a result of heavy storms, earthquakes, and tornadoes, and so may happen when emergency services are already tied up elsewhere. There is little to be done about this kind of disaster except for notifying emergency response teams as quickly as possible.
Many households keep a number of chemicals and potential toxins for various purposes, and often in the same place. These, if leaking or otherwise removed from their containers and mixed, often have a potential to create combustible or explosive compounds. Although fires resulting from household chemicals are rare, you should always make sure that chemicals are sealed in their containers and that they do not outlive their shelf life.
Cooking and Heating Appliances
Many fires start from the kitchen, the number one room in the house for fires, as appliances such as ovens or burners are left unsupervised or used improperly. Grease fires can be dangerous in their extinguishing because if you react by tossing water on the flames, you will be spreading the fire. The most important step in avoiding these fires is the installation of a nearby smoke detector, and easy access to a fire extinguisher. Additionally, do your best to use all cooking appliances at manufacturer recommendations and do not leave food unattended.
Known nationwide as a reliable and trusted disaster cleanup and restoration company, SERPVRO has built its reputation on quality service and timely operations. SERVPRO of Lafayette/Louisville is a locally owned and operated franchise and is ready to help with any fire cleanup project in the local area. Give us a call at (303) 604-6607 for 24/7 advice and service.